Monday 5 November 2007

Week 4

Last week I was absent as I had to go back home due to family matters. I warned my group in advance and we decided upon which research I was going to undertake. The class wiki permitted me to stay up to date to what has been covered in class and to do all the reading.

Reading Jean Lave's and Etienne Wenger's concerning "Communities of Practice" made me think about several issues. In my opinion, it is through interaction tat we become "street smart" and not only "book smart". It is important to be aware of the people around us not only because they bring us new knowledge/perspectives, but also because we are all part of a community in which we have to grow/learn/interact/live/work...
Is it possible to have that same sense of community online? Common interests bound groups together but is face-to-face interaction more enriching (socially/intellectually). Can online interaction be part of the educational process?

My research:
I continue doing research on different online communities.
I tried to use the online database (Jstor) to find some articles but my passwords did not work so I have to ask the IT person in the library for help.

Our project:
It starts to have a certain format (introduction, body, conclusion)
We are starting to build it up.

No comments: